Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hemos llegado! - Cynthia

Peru is awesome. We wrote out an entire blog plost full of our adventures from the last day and then I left it on my computer which is back at our place... So this summary will have to do. 
 Saying goodbye to my wonderful cousins who dropped me off at the airport.













Lima is very humid, and the people here are crazy drivers! There are three established lanes but no one seems to notice, 5 cars at a time will all be driving and honking and cutting eachother off and waving each other forward. The streets are full of huge tour buses and taxis and combis as well as dogs. Lots of dogs and lots of people. 

 This is Zara, and this is Erin and Zara enjoying ice cream while we hang out at Josue´s swim lesson. 

We were lucky enough to have the wonderful Zara for our contact here in Lima, she picked both of us up from the airport, helped me practice my spanish and let us rest and eat at her house. She has a wonderful family and a very cute son named Josue. We learned that Josue likes: to wake up Erin by staring at her an inch from her face, he like soccer but not swim lessons and he enjoys singing along to David Archuleta. 
We left Lima yesterday afternoon on a "baller" tour bus- according to the other intern Jake. It has cool reclining seats, dinner, and an odd choice of music. We were on it for 16 hours...
Hanging out with Josue.

We arrived in Pulyucana this morning, thanks to more help from the Bishop here. It is so beautiful in Cajamarca; misty mountains, rolling green hills and a lot trees I don´t recognize. I am excited to explore more of our new home, but for the past few hours we have been pretty busy meeting everyone. Our new friend Jake is hilarious. He showed us around "El Bichito" where we are working for the next three months, and had great commentary on all of it´s oddities. Sorry for the scatterbrained post, and Erin will tell you all about where we live and more about the wonderful kids we get to work with next time!


5 comments:

  1. Hey Cynthia,

    Great to see and know that you arrived and have good people to receive you. I'll be following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia and Erin, I'm so glad you are doing a blog about your adventures and work in Peru!!! I'll be an avid follower. It's makes it more fun that I have met you Cynthia and sorta know you too (heard a lot about you from the Collet girls), now I get two adventures for the price or blog, of one! heehee Love you ERIN! Have a blast and work hard girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try to keep up with your blog-but just remember there are days I can't see

    It sounds like you both will enjoy being in Peru, learning a new language; meeting and helping people and just having fun exploring and expanding your horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Cynthia and Erin,
    I am glad you are alive. Also, I'm glad you're doing a blog so all us back in boring ol' USA can see how much fun you're having. Haha, I'm way stoked to follow this here blog! Have fun down there!!
    -Jake

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im sure youve already been introduced to it but you need to try the alfa jores and cheese from cajamarca. Its supposed to be divine. So jealous!
    -Michael-

    ReplyDelete